Games of the VIII Olympiad
4 May - 27 July 1924
First Olympic Appearance for…the FEI
The Games of the VIII Olympiad returned to Paris – the home country of the founder of the Modern Olympic Games, Baron de Coubertin. After 28 years of existence, the recognition and appreciation of the Olympic Games had drastically improved. After two World Fair side-shows, 1900 in Paris and 1904 in St Louis, organisational professionalism, especially as demonstrated at the 1912 Games in Stockholm, had taken over. The shortcomings of the 1920 Olympics in war-torn Antwerp were resolved, when at an extraordinary meeting in 1921 in Lausanne, several International Federations were founded, including the FEI.
The FEI, although with only 14 National member Federations, had, in the two years since its founding, evaluated the Olympic programme. This task was helped by the fact that the FEI Secretary General, Cmdt. Georges Hector, was also the Secretary General of the French Federation and became the President of the technical committee for the equestrian events at the 1924 Games.
Games Facts & Figures
- 44 nations
- 3,089 athletes (135 women; 2,954 men)
- 17 sports
- Approx. 1,000 journalists
- The Olympic motto, "Citius, Altius, Fortius", (Swifter, Higher, Stronger) was introduced
For the first time, the closing ceremony included the raising three flags: the flag of the International Olympic Committee, the flag of the host nation and the flag of the next host nation. This would also be the first time the athletes were accommodated in an Olympic Village, in a group of wood cabins.